Contact Suggestions

Parliament House
Parliament House

Please use the comments here to suggest MPs, Senators, and others who would might be particularly interested in this issue because:

  • Their position is relevant to our issues
  • They have a US connection

Eventually this part of the website will probably be replaced by a wiki so everyone can contribute to the content. Until then, comments will have to suffice.

17 thoughts on “Contact Suggestions”

  1. I note that Canadian Prof. Arthur Cockfield “He is a senior research fellow at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia ” according to his bio

    Prof. Cockfield wrote these papers re FATCA, and appeared before the Canadian Parliament to present against the imposition of FATCA on Canadians;

    Cockfield, Arthur J., FATCA and the Erosion of Canadian Taxpayer Privacy (April 1, 2014). Report to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, April 2014. Available at SSRN:

    – with Prof. Allison Christians (McGill U, Que. Canada)
    Christians, Allison and Cockfield, Arthur J., Submission to Finance Department on Implementation of FATCA in Canada (March 10, 2014). Fulltext vailable at SSRN: or

    Perhaps he might be of help, or something in his papers might also apply in principle to Australia – (ex. if your laws on privacy are similar)? I couldn’t find him in the Monash U directory, but he’s got an email at Queens U in Canada

    He also spoke to the media, critical of FATCA and US extraterritorial treatment of Canadians.

  2. Parliament Office

    PO Box 6022
    House of Representatives
    Parliament House
    Canberra ACT 2600

    (02) 6277 4140
    (02) 6277 8469

  3. Hello everyone,

    Glad to have found you..

    Can anyone provide recommendations for Australian based Legal AND accounting professionals that I can use to help me prepare for and go through the “relinquishing of my green card” (expired and invalid but …still have to do it)
    I am and Australian, married to an American citizen with have 2 American born children – all dual citizens. We have lived in Australia since 2002 and were clueless to the reporting requirements until a nasty IRS letter in 2009..
    Many dollars later and much heartbreak… we waded through the process of getting up to date- resulting in paying a fine and almost the complete destruction of my mental health and our marriage…
    I need to be free of this yearly reporting burden before it destroys me BUT I want Australian based advice. Can anyone recommend anybody??

    1. Hi Jane,
      Glad you found us. If you’re on Facebook, there’s a thread in our Facebook Group with some recommendations for US tax preparers. (The group is “closed” so you’ll have to request membership before you can read any posts). The tax treatment of green card holders by the US is unconscionable. They ought to do a better job of making sure people are aware of the tax pitfalls of becoming a US resident.


  4. I suggest you contact Mark Latham Outsiders. He’s good at getting things out there in the public. He’s now also Rebel Media’s outlet in Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *